First in an extended "Western Civilisation Series".
In his most recent book, Ben Shapiro asks the questions "Why are things so good?" and "Why are we blowing it?"
He argues that humans need four things for fulfilment:
- Individual purpose
- Communal purpose
- Individual capacity; and;
- Communal capacity
He argues that the combination of Jeruselum and Athens. Greek reason and Judeo-Christian spirituality provided the conditions for western civilisation and individuals to flourish.
We will discuss the book, and in particular:
- Is his formulation of fulfilment is complete?
- Do we need the influence of Jerusalem and Athens to continue to flourish?
- Is it only religion that is being degraded or is it reason as well?
- Are we really blowing it?